Hamper Stool Project, Part 6

DSCN1787The structure of the hamper stool is almost together. I have 4 additional side casings to make and 9 pieces for the back. I ordered a roll of filament on Sunday and I expect it to arrive Friday or Monday. In the meantime, I have been printing the spiral infills.

DSCN1779I have never added wheels to anything from scratch, so I watched a video (see end of post) to learn how to do it. I measured the width of the wheel stem (9 mm) and bought a 3/8″ black oxide drill bit and 3/8″ t-nuts. One thing to note here is that my steel drill bit created a lot of heat when boring into the hardwood legs. The black oxide bit did not.

DSCN1781After I prepared the legs, I put the top 3D printed pieces together and attached the legs flush with the assembly top. Next, I turned my attention to the hinge.

This was the first time I have attached a hinge from scratch as well. I searched the internet to try and determine how to place it properly. After awhile, I concluded that I just needed to be sure the top could open completely. To do this, the circular part must be in the center space between the two pieces to be attached. Also, the hinge needs to be centered on the wood, with equal measurements to each end. I think I did okay with centering the hinge on the wood and the 3D pieces; not so well with screwing the nails into the wood. I used push pin pilot holes after marking placement with a pencil and I should have drilled the holes using a small diameter drill bit. The slanted nails prevent the wood top from closing as it should.

DSCN1785The 3D pieces do not have holes in the top. I planned to drill holes here when I designed the model. I simply marked and drilled holes using a 5/32″ black oxide drill bit.DSCN1789

The hinge created a roughly 4 mm space between the top assembly and the wood lid. I placed 13 mm vinyl bumpers on the center of each wood dowel leg and turned the project upside down to position the front casing assembly. I used mounds of Sculpey to hold the assembly at the 4 mm height while I maneuvered it. I marked and drilled holes in the casings.

After I made 3 side casings and put them together, I found that I did not do a good job with centering the front assembly. I will re-position it after I have both side assemblies together.

Changes

Back of project – My initial plans were to make the same casings for the front and back of the hamper. However, after attaching the hinge, I found that there was no room for the casings. Luckily, my experiment with the placemats provided a solution. I will print flat panels and hot glue them together for the back. Then, I will mark and drill holes to attach the panel assembly to the top, bottom, and side assemblies.
DSCN1792Spiral fillers – Upon attempting to fit the spiral fillers in the casings, I found that half of the spirals need to be open on the sides to accommodate nuts. I have printed a side spiral open once with supports and it works. I am working on positioning the opening in the right spot.

Threaded Stem Cast Installation video

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s